Buchanan Engine Company No.1 Inc.

Upcoming Events

There are currently no events
View All Events

2025 Alarms
Jan 18
Feb 15
March 15
April
May
June
July
Aug
Sept
Oct
Nov
Dec
Total 48

2024 Alarms
January 29
February 11
March 13
April 12
May 15
June 15
July 21
August 19
September 11
October 14
November 19
December 10
Total 189

2023 Alarms
January 17
February 12
March 7
April 18
May 13
June 13
July 26
August 9
September 9
October 19
November 15
December 12
Total 170

Web Counters
Website Visitors
Since
February 9, 2016
752,696
Visitors Today
Apr 03, 2025
357

                                                                                              OUR HISTORY
                                                                   
Compiled by Joseph Chapyak, Jr. and Kieran Outhouse
 

The idea of beginning a fire protection agency for the Village of Buchanan was shaped in the year 1939.  A group of men met in Rocco Dilio’s residence and discussed the idea of forming a fire company within the Village for their own fire protection.  These men were the founders of the department Eugene Bennett, Charles Brenning, Augustus Cole, Arthur Conklin, Howard Conklin, Rocco Dilio, Harold Fredrick, Joseph Michael, Dominick Moretti, Birdsall Travis, Bertram Tomlinson and Joseph Vargo. For two years they formulated plans and gathered support to start the fire company.  In 1939, they appeared before the Village Board with a request to obtain permission to organize a fire department.  The Board gave the men the go-ahead with the stipulation that when they had a fire truck and equipment that passed the Underwriter’s tests, they would be recognized. 

These men immediately set to work, meetings were held and presided over by Charles Brenning, the first President. The Company was incorporated in the year 1940 and Buchanan Engine Company #1 was born.  It was a rough birth, times were hard, equipment and materials were hard to come by, the country was getting ready to go to war.  So with a strong sense of civic pride and bulldog-like determination, the men of the newly formed Fire Company set about the task of building their own fire truck. A 1933 Chevrolet chassis was donated by Floyd Sellick.  Materials were donated by William Gallagher, John Lorenz, Buchanan Garage and William Ash, Jr.  Carmine Moretti, William Rose, Dominick Moretti, John Tangen, Sr., Cal Johnson, Herbert Ryder, Andrew Travis, Robert McGinnis, Preston Travis, Charles Brenning, Frank Generose, Robert Klinke, Webster Pierce, Harold Hawks, Clyde Losee, Frank Moretti, Robert Sellick, Jr., Nicholas Moretti, Harry Kash and Harold Buckner were the crew who began building the first apparatus, “The Red Flyer.” 

The Company’s first headquarters was a rented garage on Bleakley Avenue which doubled as a meeting hall.  It took two years of hard work before the Company was ready.  It was during that time that a tragic incident occurred that removed any doubt for the need of Buchanan to have its own fire department.  A fire broke out in a home near the railroad bridge.  The Montrose Fire Department, who was providing fire protection for the Village, were already fighting another fire, so the Peekskill Fire Department was called in.  There was a delay in getting the fire equipment to the scene and tragically three lives were lost.  With renewed vigor, the men pushed forward to complete the already started fire truck and to get the Company approved.  Finally, in 1942, tests were given by the Underwriters.  Seventy-eight men responded under the direction of Frank Shaw, the first Chief, and the “Red Flyer” passed the test with flying colors. 

The country was now at war.  The Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor and the Americans were getting ready to go to battle.  The activities of the new Fire Department attracted national attention including well-known newsman Lowell Thomas, who wrote news articles and broadcast a radio program featuring the efforts made in the Village of Buchanan by the Fire Department in building their own truck.  In 1943, a second truck was supplied with a pump, donated by the Federal Government.  The Company now had two truck with which to respond to fires and emergencies. The first Firematic Officers of the Buchanan Engine Company No. 1 were Chief Frank Shaw, 1st Assistant Chief Joseph Chapyak, Sr, 2nd Assistant Chief Dominick Moretti, Captain Rocco Dilio, and Lieutenants James Macken and C.W. Conklin. After the war, Buchanan became well known throughout Westchester County through their parade activities.  The Company adopted a style and color of uniform that was not the same as most regulation uniforms.  The Company colors for Buchanan Engine Company were maroon and gold, which were chosen by the Company Membership for their parade uniforms. 

In 1948, Buchanan Engine purchased its first factory built fire truck, a 1948 Dodge 500 gallon pumper.  The “Red Flyer” was retired from service.  The Chief at the time was Charles Pfannes.

In October of 1951 land was donated by from Augustus J. Cole, Elsie A. Cole, Howard Conklin and Meta Conklin for the sum of $100.00 for a fire headquarters on Route 9. Howard Conklin was a founding member, with his great-grandson Reed Outhouse serving as Chief decades later.  In December of that year the Company moved from the rented garage to their new headquarters. Buchanan Engine Company was now finally established in a permanent home of its own.  No longer would the membership have to cart coal during the winter months so they could sit through the meetings as they did at the old firehouse on Bleakley Avenue. 

In 1955 The Chief in command was Robert Stewart.  The second factory built fire truck was purchased.  It was a 1955 Chevy truck with a Tasco body.  The last hand-built fire truck was not retired completely, its heart, the 1941 pump, was transplanted into the new truck. Now Buchanan Engine had two factory built fire trucks in their new permanent quarters. The Company held many fundraising drives over the years to help finish the new firehouse. The Annual Bazaar was the main event. A car or boat was raffled, along with the bingo games contributed to the bazaar’s success.

In 1961 the Chief in command was Carl Aschenbrenner. On September 12, 1961 Chief Carl Aschenbrenner responded to a working structure fire located on Seward Street in the village of Buchanan. Chief Aschenbrenner felt ill and passed command to Assistant Chief John Harbolic. Chief Aschenbrenner went home to recuperate. After the fire was extinguished, Assistant Chief Harbolic went to check on Chief Aschenbrenner and found that he passed away at his residence.

In late 1961, the Chief in office was John Harbolic, taking over after Chief Aschenbrenner’s death.  Buchanan Engine Company No. 1 purchased its largest apparatus yet, a 1961 Mack with a 750 gallon per minute pump. The 1948 Dodge was put out of service and sold to the highest bidder.  During the next few years, the Company upgraded its equipment. Self-contained breathing apparatus (Scott Air Pacs) were purchased, along with a rescue boat.  Radios were installed.  The older rubber turnouts were replaced with more modern materials, and a home alerting system was put into place to meet the needs of the growing village.

In 1969 the old war surplus pump finally gave up and had to be taken out of service.  A new pumper was ordered, a 1969 Young 1,000 gallon pumper with a high pressure fog system.  The 1955 Chevy was converted into a rescue truck. The Company continued offering first rate fire and emergency protection to the Village. The 1969 GMC 1,000 GPM Young Fire apparatus with GMC chassis was entered into service. This truck was one of the first in the area with a High Pressure Fog. A fire in 1970, at the Guenther Mfg. Corp on Reynolds Lane, proved the value of High Pressure Fog as it was the first major use.  It was also the inception of the Nozzle News, the company newsletter. During these two years, our Chief was George Harbolic and Denis Hanney was President.

In 1971 the Chief was James Gilbert and the President was Carmen Piucci, elected in December, and succeeded D. Hanney. In January of this year, a fire occurred in zero degree weather at the old nursing home on Kings Ferry Road that lasted for eight hours.   Buchanan Engine Company received a commendation from the U.S.M.C. recruiting service.  A diesel generator was purchased and installed in 1972 to run the firehouse in emergencies.  A deck gun was installed on Wngine 162 and Junior Firemen were organized.

In 1973, the Chief was John Henry Markham, the President Ted Franko.  Buchanan Engine Company received the New York Daily News Vamps Award for the excellent “save” of the $50,000 fire at DaRo’s Corner Store. The Department ran blood drives and collected 41 pints of blood this year. A mutual aid call in 1974 with Peekskill Fire Co. at a large tire fire in a local junk yard brought the first use of Hi-Expansion Foam to Buchanan Engine Company.  More renovations were done, the kitchen was refurbished and a rec room was added. The softball team won 1 game and lost 19. 

In 1975 Andy Cody was Chief and Ted Franko was President.  This is the year the GMC Rescue Truck was delivered, receiving such nicknames as the piewagon; the lemon truck; the bread truck; and the pizza pie truck; but it proved well worth its cost over the years, especially with the use of the cascade system.  This truck would go on to become the first mobile breathing air truck.

In 1976 Buchanan Engine Company participated with the Village in a celebration of our County’s Bicentennial.  The 1975 GMC Rescue was officially put into service. A big year for us was 1977 when it was called on New Year’s Day to a severe fire on Smith and South Streets in Peekskill.  Later in the year a real worker occurred at the Old Standard Brands Factory; to top it off, lightning struck transformers at Con Edison causing a fire and one of the longest and worst blackouts ever experienced in the area.  Andy Cody was Chief and Jack Atkins, President.

In 1978 the Village of Buchanan celebrates its 50th Birthday. Andy Cody was Chief and Terry Pierce was President. Buchanan Engine Company’s main focus for the year was helping the Village celebrate its 50th birthday. The Annual Dinner Dance was attended by 65 people. 

In 1979 Joe Chapyak, Jr. became Chief and Terry Pierce and Jack Atkins was President.  The Fire Police were reorganized for firematic effectiveness. The First Annual Ex-Chief’s Dinner was held. 

In 1980, Joe Chapyak, Jr. was Chief and Bob Tompkins as President.  Buchanan Engine Company celebrated its 40th Anniversary.

 In 1981, Buchanan Engine Company held its first firematic inspection.  The Department had a very successful parade season, culminating with winning four trophies in the Cortlandt H&L’s 150th Anniversary parade, including Best Overall Company, the largest trophy ever awarded in Westchester County. Joe Linder, Jr. was Chief and Sal Bottiglieri, Sr. was President.  The Company renamed its property and building next to the firehouse Aschenbrenner Hall. The purchase of a Chief’s vehicle was discussed.  The By-Laws were amended to allow firefighters outside the Village to join the Company as Active Members. A Committee was formed for the purpose of selecting a new truck for the Company as Active Members. A new Sanford 1750 GPM Pumper Fire Truck with a 1,000 gallon booster tank was purchased in 1982.  Ex-Chief Andy Cody was announced as Chief of the Department for his fifth year.                          

The year 1984 was an eventful year for the Company. SCBAs were all turned over to positive pressure.  Renovations were started on Aschenbrenner Hall, led by George "Moe" Merritt, Jr. The Ladies Auxiliary were given their first courses in dispatching, and Chief Peter Gilbert started Sunday morning breakfasts.  The first female firefighter, Kelly Flood, was voted into the Company. A Committee was formed for the “John Heady Memorial Award.”  For the first time the Department won “Best Pumper” at the Westchester County Convention Parade. Work began on repower of R-26.  Pagers were distributed to all Officers Department Chiefs and Engineers. A Company policy was adopted mandating the use of air packs at all structural fires.  In 1986, Verplanck Fire Department Chief Gerald Dyckman commended our firefighter Charles Wilcox for his quick actions after reporting a structural fire on Westchester Avenue.  He evacuated the family while awaiting the fire department.

In 1987, Al Roush was Chief.  New mobile radios with four channels were purchased for the Chiefs.  Mule chargers were installed in R-26 and E161 to keep the batteries fully charged.  New coats and helmets were purchased in order to conform with OSHA mandated laws.  A mutual aid response was initiated with the Cortlandt Ambulance Corp. to all life threatening emergencies in the Village.  A Truck Committee was formed to refurbish E-162 1969 GMC; the contract was signed in 1988 and E-162 was on its way to Pennsylvania.  Buchanan Engine Company was requested to assist the Troma Movie Company in the making of a movie at Lent’s Cove.  County Fire Control, located in Valhalla, became the central dispatch for all alarms received for the Department. In December of 1988, a new 5000 PSI Mobile Air Compressor was purchased.

In 1990, Chief Al Roush, along with assistance of Company members and Honorary Member Peter J. Keefe began customizing the 1955 Chevy to a Mobile Air Cascade truck.  The 5000 PSI Mako Air Compressor and four 6000 PSI storage bottles were installed.  This was a one-of-a-kind apparatus in the immediate area.  We also converted to 4.5 Self Contained Breathing Apparatus; the packs are lighter, smaller and more comfortable for the firefighter to wear.  The Rescue Truck was repainted red and white to match the other two apparatus.  A new house generator was installed with an automatic start up when the power goes out.   The installation of the generator was done by the members of Buchanan Engine Company.  After much hard work by Tim Donahue and his committee, the Village board approves the areas first service awards program, establishing a point based incentive to attract and retain members; this program will provide qualifying members with a future pension for their dedicated service to the Company.

In 1991 the department’s first new chief’s car is purchased, Robert Outhouse is Chief. A new 1991 Pierce Lance pumper with 6 man cab is purchased, anti-lock brakes, seatbelts for all riding positions and numerous safety features enhance firefighter safety. ISO conducts a full review of department records, procedures and capabilities to determine the insurance costs to village residents and businesses. The department passes with flying colors.

The Nozzle News is brought back into print, providing members with important company information as well as a look at the comedic side of the firehouse.

Our first female associate member, Leah Strang-Grant was inducted into the department.

In 1995 Buchanan Engine Company holds first annual Golf outing in memory of past members of the company at the Beekman Country Club, in Dutchess County. 1st Chaired By Roy Hesslegrave this event has been a huge success and becomes a major fundraiser for the company.

In July of 1997, Andrew Roush was the chief. A fast moving house fire claims the life of Father Francis Newman of St. Patrick's Catholic Church, a beloved friend to the entire community and the fire service. All of the local fire departments attend wake and funeral services.

In 1998 Chief Andy Roush purchases a Jeep Cherokee as the second chief’s car, almost 100% of the vehicles cost is covered by donations from local businesses. A 1998 Sutphen Rescue Pumper is purchased, it features a 50 gallon foam system, 1250 gpm pump, slide out compartment trays and a built in Amkus Jaws of Life rescue system.

Remembrance Day Ceremony is held for the first time, led by the Reverend Bob Douty, the ceremony which continues to this day, honors our deceased members.

A larger, safer boat replaces Marine 26- the boat was donated by a village resident and members volunteer their time to refurbish it. It has modern multi-channel radios and more equipment than its predecessor.

In 2001 the Chief was Reed Outhouse. On September 11 2001, terrorists using passenger aircraft carry out attacks on the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and Pennsylvania. 343 members of the City of New York Fire Department make the supreme sacrifice and save the lives of thousands of people. On the evening of the eleventh, Rescue 26 and a full crew respond mutual aid to Manhattan. The following night, Utility 12 responds mutual aid to the Bronx (Engine 71/Ladder 55 on Melrose Ave) to assist FDNY. Many members stand ready for several nights on standby crews in case they are needed at what has become known as “Ground Zero” Chief Reed Outhouse issues order requiring all members to receive Weapons of Mass Destruction training. The fire service is changed forever.

In 2002, Reed Outhouse was Chief. Tragedy struck involving a residence in the village where a mother and son lost their lives and two other sons were able to escape an early morning structure fire on Albany Post Road. Originally, the Montrose Fire Department was dispatched to this fire based on the address. However many years before this fire the Montrose, Buchanan and Verplanck Fire Departments set up an automatic mutual aid dispatch for reported structure fires to expedite assistance when needed. It was this fire that Stu Bayer, our Captain responding to the Montrose Fire for standby, realized it was is neighbor’s house that was on fire. This fire then became the focus of the Village, Town Boards and US Postal Service.  It was determined that there were many duplicate addresses on the Albany Post Road corridor between Continental Village and Croton on Hudson.  The municipalities in the town agree to change the addresses by adding a distinctive number at the beginning of each address. 

In 2004, Chief Mike Scott receives the delivery of the new Utility 12- 2003 E-One Breathing Air/Light truck. Capable of supplying unlimited breathing air and an array of electric and lighting capabilities 40KW PTO Generator. This replaced the 1955 Chevrolet, which was donated to the Fire Museum in Hudson Falls, NY and is still on display to this day. Buchanan Engine Company wins Best overall in the Westchester County Convention Parade in Verplanck NY. 

February 2004 tragedy strikes again involving a residence in the Village.  The Bannon Avenue apartment fire took the life of one resident and left countless others displaced, Buchanan Engine Company pulls together and runs a spaghetti dinner for the displaced families.  Buchanan Engine Company wins Best Overall in Westchester County Volunteer Firemen’s Association Convention Parade in Verplanck, NY. 

In 2010 Chief Thomas Grant takes delivery of Rescue 26 EVI/Spartan cab which has a unique body style, a rounded cab which responds to all alarms in the village and carries pumps, cribbing, winches, Amkus Rescue system, forcible entry tools and a vast array of rescue oriented equipment.

In November 2011 the Engine Company conducts first boot drive to raise funds for 75th Anniversary. The crew raised over $2000.00 in just 3 hours. However, after learning that the local food pantry was low on food for Thanksgiving, the Company decides to donate its proceeds to help families in need.

In June of 2012 the Engine Company votes to establish an Explorer Post #255, under the Boy Scouts of America. The post is opened up to all residents 14 -21 years of age residing in the Hendrick Hudson School District. 15 members join. Founding members were: Andrew Grant, Mike Eichler Jr., Kieran Outhouse, Tim Scott, Frank Lynch, Dan Lieske, and Troy Dyckman.

In 2014 Mario Cilento is the Chief. Buchanan Engine Company takes Best Overall Firematic Unit over 100 companies (the Maroon Platoon is back!) at the Hudson Valley Volunteer Firemen’s Association Convention Parade in West Glens Falls, NY. Several fundraisers are held through out the year in preparation for the Westchester County Volunteer Firemen’s Association convention and parade..

In 2015 Stu Bayer is elected Chief. The President is Robert J. Outhouse. Buchanan Engine Company celebrates it 75th Anniversary and are hosts of the Westchester County Volunteer Firemen’s Association Annual convention and Parade. The 1991 Pierce Lance pumper gets a refurbish. Arriving back in Buchanan just in time for our 75thAnniversary parade. A firefighting UTV (U-162) is donated to us with no cost to taxpayers.

In 2021, a replacement for our 1998 International/Sutphen Pumper was ordered after years of planning and discussion. The apparatus was purchased by the Village of Buchanan under our new fire protection contract, and maintained and operated by the company. The new truck was placed into service within two weeks of delivery, a 2021 Pierce Sabre (1500/750), and designated our main attack engine.

It is impossible to predict what the future will hold, but the Officers and Members of Buchanan Engine Company No.1 Inc. will always be "Prepared to Protect".

Website Designed and Hosted By: Content Proudly Maintained By: Contact Info:
Firehouse Solutions
www.FirehouseSolutions.com
Buchanan Engine Company No.1 Inc.
3159 Albany Post Road
Buchanan, NY 10511
Emergency Dial 911
Chiefs Office: 914-737-0334
Non-Emergency: 914-737-5010
E-mail: info@buchananfire.com
Copyright © 2025 Firehouse Solutions (A Service of Technology Reflections, Inc.)